Home

A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones. - Proverbs 17:22

Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Door Tale



When we first moved into our new home some 2 years ago, the very first room we remade was the kids' bedroom.  I'm ashamed to say I still haven't gotten around to posting any of my very own home decor ideas, the boys' room included.

Growing up, my brother and I shared a room. It wasn't up until our teenage years that mom and dad upgraded to a larger home to suit our needs.  I personally had the space to accomodate each boy with their own bedroom but, call it tough love or an attempt to teach true camaraderie, I opted for a shared bedroom for the two.

The end result? A really, really messy playroom and no one accountable for the mess. This summer, my oldest will be 8 and my youngest will be 6. I don't know if you have any kids, or if my kids are a unique breed, but it seems the teenage years seem to come around much younger these days. Hence, my 'teenagers' need their own space.

When I told my husband that I was ready to move the children into their own little rooms, he quickly confided he wanted no doors.  I'm not a boy, never have been, so I trust him, partially. Thinking realistically, we can "limit" the amount of door each child gets. :)

How would I DIY this? Funny you ask. Wait, were you asking?   Some months ago, for some more months we had a family member living with us. Some wise person once told me "These kinds of things end badly." I trusted her, but thought to myself, But I'm different. It turns out I'm not different but that's enough about that.

He ended up leaving abruptly, deadbolting the lock and jolting the scene.  And so, now I can't get in without doing some damage to the door.  Hence, the idea to sudo-chop the sucker in half and move on to the DIY portion of this whole thing. Can you dig it?  The kids had already managed to do some sort of damage to the door while it was in "occupancy", now to just convince the hubby I'm up to the task...

Image credit and for more door inspiration, visit here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...