Home

A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones. - Proverbs 17:22

Monday, February 28, 2011

Self promote

 I  n Spanish we have the saying hechate unos porros which basically translates to self-promote.
We live in a dog-eat-dog society and the world is full of celebrities, business owners, artists and a slew of others who have been told You're not good enough, You're not attractive enough, You're not smart enough, You're a failure.

Sylvester Stallone is one example

And although there are few instances where people are discovered such as Cindy Crawford, it's far more likely to attain success taking matters into your own hands rather than awaiting 'fate' to determine our success in life.

When I was a teenager, I was approached by a photographer who expressed interest in photographing me for future ventures. I was only 12 at the time. He apologized for not having a business card on hand and on a piece of paper he wrote his number. My companions were quick to unvalidate his title, I never called, but from that day forth I awaited for another person to "discover" and validate me.

It wasn't until much years later that I finally decided to take matters into my own hands. My husband photographed me and I went to work researching possible modeling ventures on Craigslist. My first job was for $125 as a hair model at a Long Beach Hair Convention.

I then did a shoot for a now defunct Linda Novia magazine and a runaway wedding expo show. I  determined it would have been the ideal venture had I been without child, but I had my complete family by this point.

The point in question? Start that blog, open that business, chase after your educational pursuits, save up for that trip to France or Amsterdam, pop the question. Just start and self-promote.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...