Home

A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones. - Proverbs 17:22

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ah, Almonds (Sonoma Diet)

 [ Photo by JC ]

Once the warmer months approach I almost make a 180 degree personality shift from winter crafter to sports enthusiast. I've never in my life met anyone quite as complicated as me.  I do, however, hone my craft skills so long as I am in the great outdoors, enjoying nature and finding every excuse to take a break every fifteen minutes to mingle with the neighbors.

So it comes to no surprise that as of lately I have been haunting personal trainers sites and googling everything from the Mediterranean diet to the benefits of almonds, until I came across this article by my former personal trainer in Pasadena, CA, founder of Intense Heart, speaking on the benefits of the Sonoma Diet.

I've been a long time fan of mediterranean foods and foods packaged as nature intended them. I don't drink soft drinks, rarely do I drink fruit juices, instead in lieu of them I drink 16 cups of cold water a day (equivalent to one gallon) as you tend to burn calories in doing so, if you don't believe me, read the article here. Another trick my trainer taught me was that green veggies such as brocolli and salad tend to burn calories as you consume them.

After researching the Sonoma Diet, I realized most of the foods he was recommending were the Sonoma diets "power foods" which are almonds, brocolli, spinach, olive oil, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, tomatoes, bell peppers and whole grains.

The Sonoma diet consists of three phases:

In Phase I, totaling 10 days, one can be expected to lose up to 10 lbs in one week. In this week you consume no fruit, eat your power food veggies, lean meats or seafood, limited dairy (I suggest almond milk if you can acquire a taste for it) and whole grains.

Phase II, you remain here until you attain your desired weight, consists of the above with fruits, fat free yogurt and sugar free snacks.

Phase III, consists of the aforementioned foods with additional snacks such as dark chocolate.

If this diet interests you, I urge you to review the diet here or consult The New Sonoma Diet: Trimmer Waist, More Energy in Just 10 Days.

Happy Grubbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...