Home

A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones. - Proverbs 17:22

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Transcendental Meditation (TM)

I don't even remember how I first heard about Transcendental Meditation. All I know is that I had been wanting to learn to meditate for the longest time and the church's definition of 'meditating on the word of God' wasn't doing it for me.  I wanted to clear the mind. I researched my neighborhood libraries catalogue for anything tagged as 'transcendental meditation' or 'TM'. I came across a book by David Lynch - writer/director and actor among other roles- Catching the Big Fish.  In the book, Mr. Lynch shares how his practice of Transcendental Meditation has aided him in his creative process in writing, directing and painting. I really enjoy reading about artists and the process by which artists (anyone skilled in their trade) go about gaining and using their ideas. Although the book itself did not teach me how to practice Transcendental Meditation, it did urge me to continue my research on the subject.


Buy the Book
I found a website which pointed me to TM teacher's within my area only to find out that it came with a price tag exceeding $1000. My DIY mentality leaks into all areas of my life and I quickly uncovered a wealth of information to learn to do-it-myself.  Transcendental Meditation is said to help reduce stress, reduce depression, increase creativity, increase energy, increase inner calm, and increase happiness and self-esteem. You can read more on the subject here.  Or on wikipedia here. It should be noted that negative perceptions on the movement have been aimed at the high cost of the practice.  However, both you and I are exempt from this burden and free to reap its benefits if we pursue it with open hearts and open minds. Afterall, Jesus himself meditated.

1. Pick a mantra. Found here.  {Mantra's are chosen by age. Existing arguments have been made over a mantra being "carefully chosen" by a trained teacher and not shared with anyone else, however, the mantras were allegedly all the same and based on the meditator's age. For example, given my age, my mantra is "shirim"}

2. Find a comfortable spot to sit down uninterrupted. Bodily position is not of importance.

3. Silently repeat your mantra over and over again for 15-20 minutes. Once in the morning and another in the evening. Pause for a moment before you begin and settle into it and pause at the end as well.

It is said you will receive heightened creative awareness and calmness once you have completed your meditation. If you gain nothing else, refer back to this calming episode whenever life gets a little too chaotic. Repeat your mantra to yourself when you are about to tackle a stressful project. Translations for your mantra can be found here and here

Remember to approach each day with gratitude. It is a good time to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...